VAUGHNS PHOTO ART: VIEW MY PROFILE | Vaughn's Photo Art Gallery | Althaea Soaps and Herbals

Monday, August 17, 2009

the timber rattler I saw yesterday

1. I submit for your consideration one timber rattler, approximate age 14 years old, who was cooperative enough to let me take these photos of it.



2. A good set of rattles... it acquires a new one each time it sheds. They shed every 1-2 years... 1.4 years on average (thus my age estimate).



3.



4. I'm glad it was mellow.



5.



6. The reason I was up there... to see the Pinnacle Mountain Fire Tower



7.



8.



9. There was a combination of two reasons that stopped me from going to the top. First, the stairs were missing. You can see where the stairs should be there is still a handrail, and brackets for the steps. I was game to climb this, and began doing so. That's when the second factor kicked in... a nest full of very energetic hornets was being shaken with each step I took, and they began to swarm. I didn't want to get up there and get attacked while unable to make a quick (and safe) descent, so I decided discretion was the better part of valor.



10. The building at the base of the tower.



11.



12.



13.



14. In addition to venomous snakes, there was an abundant variety of mushrooms in the area.



15.



16.



17.



18.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home