VAUGHNS PHOTO ART: VIEW MY PROFILE | Vaughn's Photo Art Gallery | Althaea Soaps and Herbals

Sunday, March 04, 2007

My mom used to live there





I saw this shack from the interstate and got off at the next exit to find it. The service road entrance was a little hard to find but once it was located I followed it to the dead end, parking on the left. The shack was in severe disrepair, the front half of the structure missing it's roof and caving in. The front poor and front door were stuffed full of dead christmas trees, whether to block entrance or just to put them somewhere I couldn't discern. Around the far side, the remains of childrens wallpaper could be seen on one wall, with vague remains of toys and a stuffed animal fading into the collapsed floor. As I was walking around taking photos, a truck came down the road. I walked over to the drivers window. "My mom used to live there," he said, looking through me and through the house into the past, "she was sick and I cared for her there for quite a while. After she passed, we rented it out to some folks. Eventually we decided to sell this land and the folks that bought it built that hotel up by the road there," he said, motioning over the hill towards the entrance. "Do you think they will mind if I photograph this place?" I asked. "They don't give a damn." he said. "You have yourself a great day". And with that he drove off.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home